Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- Publication: Each of the authors warrants that the enclosed article is original and does not infringe any copyright or violate any other right of any third parties, and that the article has not been published elsewhere or is not being considered for publication elsewhere in any form, except as explained to the Editor. A declaration detailing any prior presentation is included in the manuscript.
Authorship: The Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology follows the ICMJE Recommendations for defining authorship. Authors must meet ALL FOUR of the following criteria:
(1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND
(2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND
(3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND
(4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
ALL and ONLY individuals meeting these requirements should be credited as authors. Individuals who contributed substantially to the study but do not meet these requirements should be acknowledged.
- Conflicts of interest: A detailed definition of conflicts of interest is provided by ICMJE (www.icmje.org/conflicts-of-interest). Please declare if there are any conflicts of interests in the past 3 years. ALL authors must state any conflicts of interest in the Declaration section of the manuscript or submit an individual ICMJE form (http://icmje.org/conflicts-of-interest/). If there are no conflicts of interest, state “All authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.”
Funding/Support: State any funding source/grants (with grant numbers) or other material support for the study.
If appropriate, add: “The funder had no role in study design, data collection/analysis/interpretation or manuscript preparation.” or “This research received no specific grant from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.” in the Funding/Support section of the manuscript.
- Acknowledgement: All and only individuals who have made substantial contributions but who do not fulfil the authorship criteria should be acknowledged in the Acknowledgement section of the manuscript. The Corresponding Author must obtain written permission from all individuals named in the Acknowledgement.
Ethics Approval: For research articles, a statement should be included in the Ethics Approval section of the manuscript declaring that (1) the study obtained ethics approval, with the name of the ethics committee(s) or institutional review board(s) and the reference number of the approval(s), and that the participants (or a parent/guardian) gave informed consent before the study, OR that (2) a waiver was given by the ethics committee / institutional review board.
Prospective human clinical trials must have been preregistered in a clinical trial database. For these articles, the registration number and database name are included in the manuscript.
- Patient consent for publication: Please include statements in the manuscript that (A) the patient was treated in accordance with the Declaration of Helsinki, (B) the patient provided informed consent for the treatment/procedures, and (C) the patient provided consent for publication.
- Copyright Transfer: The Corresponding Author, on behalf of all the authors, hereby grant and assign to the Hong Kong Journal of Ophthalmology worldwide copyrights of the manuscript (including all related diagrams, photographs and other material) if it is accepted for publication.
Provides new information based on original research. Includes prospective studies with in-depth statistical analysis, unique retrospective observations of a disease or disorder, and studies of novel applications of an interventional procedure or treatment method.
Systematic reviews or meta-analyses of recent developments in a specific topic. Scoping reviews of the literature that identify area(s) for future research will also be considered. No new information is described, and no subjective opinion or personal experiences are expressed.
Narrative review articles discussing recent developments in a specific topic. No new information is described; may include subjective opinion or personal experiences.
Brief discussion of a case with unique features not previously described. Additional cases (case series) may be added to augment the discussion. The discussion should be succinct and focus on a specific message.
Teaching exercise with message in the figures and legends. Emphasis is on quality of the illustrations and clinical relevance of the message.
Letters to the Editor
Short letter on any matter of interest to journal readers, including comments on an article that has previously appeared in the journal. The authors of the article commented on would be invited to reply.
• On acceptance of an article for publication in HKJO, copyright of the article is transferred to the Journal.
• The Journal has a fully Open Access policy and publishes all articles under a Creative Commons license (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0). For any use other than that permitted by this license, written permission must be obtained from the Journal.
The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.